If, for any reason, the school needs to be closed, or in the case of severe weather conditions, the decision to close the school is made by the Headteacher in consultation with the Chair of Governors. It is based on local conditions and staff availability to ensure the children’s safety. If the school is to be closed, the following procedures will be adopted.
SCHOOL CLOSURE NOTIFICATION SYSTEM
Hertfordshire County Council have a new Schools Closure Notification System for advising parents should schools have to close for any reason. This new system is operated by Everbridge and parents are able to register with Everbridge to receive emails and/or texts sent by schools. Once registered, parents can sign up for any school in Hertfordshire, primary or secondary. To register, please copy and paste the following link into your browser:
This link will direct you to the ‘sign up’ page where you should click on the ‘sign up’ button located at the top right hand side of the page on the grey strip and from there follow the instructions. It should take no more than five minutes to register and you can edit your information at any time should you change your mobile number or email address.
Parents are urged to sign up for this service as schools will be contacting Everbridge as soon as a decision is made to close a school for whatever reason it may not be as obvious as heavy snow.
- Our website will also be updated. Please note: school websites can be slow to update particularly in bad weather, due to the high volume of traffic at these times.
- We will send an email via Parentmail to each child’s primary contact. Again, please be aware that in the past when a large number of schools are using Parentmail at the same time, the system can be very slow.
- The Everbridge notification information will also generate an alert to the local radio station ‘Snow Line’ at BBC 3 Counties Radio (103.8FM). This information may be announced or displayed on the radio website.
- As soon as we are able, there will be a message on the school answerphone and signs will be put up at main access points to the site.
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS USING THE BREAKFAST CLUB
Breakfast Club’s 7am start time each morning means that there are only a few members of staff on site. In the case of very bad weather, we may not be able to ensure that the site is ready for the children’s arrival at this early time.
- If we are unable to run Breakfast Club we will inform the parents of the children who are expected to attend that day as soon as feasibly possible
- In the case where very bad weather is predicted: the school will notify parents on the day before that Breakfast Club will not run.
- If there is unexpectedly snow on the ground in the morning: please assume that Breakfast Club will not run.
In the case that the weather subsequently improves through the morning, it will not be possible to reverse the decision once made for the day.
We will make a decision for Breakfast Club and a decision for the normal school day separately, therefore, we may need to close Breakfast Club but still be able to open the school at the normal start time.
All parents must make sure that the school is open before dropping children off or sending children to school in bad weather. School telephones are manned from approximately 8.15am.
Please help to inform other families once you have the correct information. Any children arriving inadvertently without an adult will be brought into school. Staff will arrange with the child/children’s parents to collect them as soon as it is practicable.
The safety of all our children in these matters is our greatest concern and we will always make our decision based on this.