This term, Year 3’s topic will be volcanoes, earthquakes and natural disasters. Within this topic, the children will be learning about a variety of places where volcanic eruptions occur in addition to how volcanoes are formed. The relevant science topics to be covered are ‘Rocks and Soils’ and ‘Plants’. In PE, the children will be participating in Dance, Tennis and Net games in addition to funtrition sessions until February half term. In RE, we will be covering Islam which builds upon learning from Key Stage 1.
In Maths, we will be covering:
- Problem solving
- Angles and lines
- Statistics and bar charts
- Multiplication and division in 2s,3s,4s and 8s
In Literacy, the children will be learning about
- Non-chronological reports
- Focussing on the book ‘Pebble in my pocket’ by Meredith Hooper ad Chris Coady
- Poetry such as Haikus and Kennings
- Alternative versions to fairy tales
Whilst we endeavour to hear children read as much as possible, it is expected that children read at least 4 times per week with an adult. This should be recorded in the children’s reading record. Children are also expected to learn the Year 3 and 4 statutory spellings to complement the spelling sessions taught in school.